Having read a number of posts on DIY paint and having a race car interior still showing signs of its street past it was time to go for it.
I bought Rustoleum paint in a can at Home Depot and a bunch of brushes. I know, it sounds like an awful idea. Before you think that its a total botch… this paint is oil based and levels out very well with even application. A roller would be perfect for this application I later found out. Those that paint bodies use a roller and a thinned down paint in several coats.
I removed all of my interior that was remaining and went to work. The car immediately took on a new look and some of my uglier welds even look better! As it turns out, this stuff is nearly the same as Miata white too, so i did some touch up in areas that were flaking. I later sanded those areas to feather in the new paint. It looks great! The cage is finally fully coated now, and I trust that this stuff will prevent rust as well.